Saturday, March 15, 2008

World go Marching by


Image via Dolce & Gabbana
I moved to New York City very recently (Jan. 08) but already have noticed the gulf between the many who make a living (barely) and the few who get noticed. Thinking about this, I was walking down __Street, en route to MoMA, and it seemed that everyone I passed was more attractive than me. This was depressing. I put the two thoughts (inadequacy in work and looks) together, and this is what I came up with:

World go marching by
On handsome shoulders
Your dark eye
Need not spare me
The slightest glance.

World with heart detached
From hands; flaxen hair
And linen suit
I don't know you.
Not that you would ever notice.

World that lingers
At the doorstep
Handsome jaw and cigarette
Eye trained on the girl behind me
World, I spurn you.

No comments: